Opened in 1910 (although the land was built in 1883 by one Thomas H. Hays as a home, complete with a school house) as a hospital to treat around 50 patients suffering with tuberculosis (often called “consumption” due to the rapid weight loss which was a side effect). Around this time, tuberculosis was rife, due to the bacteria thriving in the swamp-like environments of the surrounding areas. This led to the hospital being further expanded until its capacity reached more than 400 patients.
It is estimated that in its years of service, Waverly Hills has claimed the lives of 65,000 people.
Some say this number is largely exaggerated but at the time of the tuberculosis outbreak, hospitals were infamous for their harsh treatment of patients, performing lung surgery on patients who were awake and aware with no anesthetic, electroshock therapy and general neglect.
Due to the high number of deaths, a tunnel was put into use, in which to remove the bodies from the site, without the living patients seeing, thus decreasing morale.
It is not surprising then that Waverly seems to have an abundance of resident ghosts. Room 502 is purportedly haunted by the ghost of a nurse who committed suicide by hanging herself after discovering she was pregnant out of wedlock AND had contracted tuberculosis. The ghost of a little boy named Timmy has also gained a name for himself by playing ball with ghost hunters who visit the derelict building.
After being closed in 1961, Waverly became a home for elderly sufferers of dementia (giving it a reputation for being an “insane asylum”) but was later closed due to rumors of mistreatment and neglect of patients.
The building stood empty for many years, hosting ghost tours and attracting media coverage from the likes of T.A.P.S and Ghost Adventures.
Recently, the old hospital has been bought and plans to convert it into a four-star hotel (complete with ghost themes) has been put in progress.